United States Peace Corps, Kiwangala, Uganda.
February 2008- April 2010
Community Health Volunteer
Served as a health teacher at Children’s Sure House Academy. CSH provides education to 910 students, many of them orphans, in a community where 14% of the population is infected with HIV.
- Initiated a rural health and sanitation program. Awarded a $4,500 Small Project’s Assistance Grant from Peace Corps and USAID to build new school latrines and provide hygiene education to 1,157 beneficiaries.
- Peace Corps Uganda Grant Committee Member from October-December 2009. Peer-reviewed volunteer proposals and awarded over $40,000 in development funding on behalf of Peace Corps and USAID.
- Facilitated export of crafts worth $500 by womans’ group to PeaceCraft Fair Shop in Albuquerque, NM.
- Collaborated with local subsistence farmers to organize a cooperative that created 8 acres of demonstration, community, and school gardens.
- Managed 22 of CSH’s short and long-term volunteers who represented partnering organizations from Great Britain, Holland, Kenya, United States, and Germany.
American Red Cross, AmeriCorps New York City
July 2006 – October 2007
Disaster Responder, National Preparation and Response Corps
The Red Cross provides emergency relief to individuals and communities affected by disaster. The Greater New York Chapter’s jurisdiction area of 9 million people averages up to 8 – 10 disasters per day.
- Served 158 local and national disasters in NY tri-state area ranging from fires to floods to an aviation crash.
- Engaged in 24 disaster preparedness outreaches and volunteer recruitment campaigns.
- Educated the community by teaching 12 classes in disaster preparedness, health and safety.
Z-Team Santa Fe, New Mexico.
May 2002-December 2003
- Provided full-time care for Zsolt, a poet with a terminal degenerative neurological disorder.
- Coordinated the management of 8 community volunteers who provided hospice care.
- Conducted biweekly hydro physical therapy exercises.
- Learned and communicated through basic American Sign Language.
Selected Broadcast Television Experience
MTV Networks New York City.
January 2004 – December 2005
Avid and Graphics Assistant
Edited video and prepared animations for promos such as the Nick at Nite Road Crew and MTV2Way Contest.
The House that Ahmet Built, American Masters, New York City.
January- April 2003
Profiles Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun, produced by PBS’s WNET Thirteen and SDS Productions.
Gumbo La La Lafayette, Louisiana.
May- August 2002
Thirteen-part series on Louisiana’s disappearing Francophone Cajun and Creole cultures in Louisiana. Produced by Tele-Vision 84 and Louisiane A La Carte Inc. Aired on TV Cinq and Louisiana Public Broadcasting. French with English subtitles.